The Franco American Portal Project is a five-university collaboration to build a primary source discovery tool for Franco American collections.
Our project addresses the need for online access to Franco American cultural history by:
- locating and identifying archival materials that concern French-Canadian, Québécois(e), and Acadian diaspora communities in the US Northeast–wherever these materials have been collected in the USA, Canada, and around the world,
- bringing together information about these collections and their contents in an organized, searchable, and culturally conscientious way, and
- making accessible these collections and their contents by directing the public toward their digital presence and the institutions that collect and preserve them
The Franco American Portal Project is funded by the University of Maine, and is a collaboration between the Franco American Programs at the University of Maine, the Franco-American Collection at the University of Southern Maine, Lewiston-Auburn College, the Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes at the University of Maine at Fort Kent, the Msgr. Wilfrid H. Paradis Archives & Special Collections at St. Anselm College, and the French Institute/Institut français at Assumption College.
Franco American Portal Project Advisory Board:
- Doris Belisle-Bonneau – University of Southern Maine, Lewiston-Auburn College
- Keith Chevalier – St. Anselm College
- Leslie Choquette, PhD – Assumption College
- Libby Lipin – Assumption College
- David Nutty – University of Southern Maine
- Lise Pelletier – University of Maine at Fort Kent
- Susan Pinette, PhD – UMaine
- Mary Rice-Defosse, PhD – Bates College
Though planning has occurred in various stages over the past several years, the Franco American Portal Project officially began in December 2018 with its first advisory board meeting.
For more information about the Franco American Portal Project, please contact Jacob Albert, Program Manager, UMaine Franco American Programs, at jacob.albert[at]maine.edu.
The Franco American Portal Project is funded by the University of Maine, and is a collaboration between the University of Maine, University of Southern Maine, University of Maine at Fort Kent, Assumption College, and St. Anselm College. Cover image is “Victor Labrecque, Lewiston, ca. 1949,” from The Victor Labrecque Photographic Collection, Franco-American Collection, University of Southern Maine Lewiston-Auburn College.